International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) - The world business organization was founded in 1919 by a few visionary business leaders of Europe immediately after the First World War; having its HQrs. in Paris. ICC has been promoting Free Market Economy, formulating various rules and guidelines for cross border trade and investment. ICC’s 6.5 million member companies in over 130 countries have interests spanning in every sector of private enterprise. ICC works in close cooperation with national governments and multi-national institutions such as G-8/G-20, World Bank, WTO, Asian Development Bank, UNCTAD, OECD and several UN agencies for promotion, protection and development of world economy.
Bangladesh National Committee of ICC, established in 1994, is comprised of major Chambers of Commerce & Industry, Business Associations, Stock Exchange, Banks, Non-banking Financial Institutions, Insurance Companies, Trans-national companies, Law Firms and large Corporate Houses having significant interest in international trade.
The activities of ICC Bangladesh include promotion of foreign trade and investment, trade policy reviews, business dialogues, seminars & workshops both at home and abroad on related policy issues, harmonization of trade law & rules, legal reforms, updating businesses with the ICC rules & standards for cross border business transactions. ICC Bangladesh has so far organized following regional & international conferences.
- 10-11 November 2000: ICC Asia Conference on "Investment in Developing Countries: Increasing Opportunities" organized in Dhaka was inaugurated by the Prime Minister of Bangladesh and attended by a number of high profile dignitaries including the Thai Deputy Prime Minister & WTO Director General Designate, ADB President, UN-ESCAP Executive Secretary and Chinese Vice Minister for Foreign Trade & Economic Cooperation. More than 250 participants from 24 countries participated in this event.
- 17-18 January 2004: International Conference on "Global Economic Governance and Challenges of Multilateralism" was held in Dhaka, coinciding with 10th Anniversary of ICC Bangladesh. The Conference was inaugurated by the Prime Minister of Bangladesh and Thai Prime Minister was the Keynote Speaker. WTO Director General, EU Commissioner for Trade, UNESCAP Executive Secretary, Governor of Japan Bank for International Cooperation, six Ministers from three continents, Bangladesh Ministers, ICC Chairman, ICC Vice Chairman, ICC Secretary General and more than 500 participants from 38 countries attended this event.
- 27-28 September 2005: Regional Seminar on "Capital Market Development: Asian Experience". The Seminar held in Dhaka was inaugurated by the President of the People's Republic of Bangladesh and attended by Chairmen/CEOs of securities & exchange commissions, stock exchanges, capital market operators, financial institutions and investors from 15 Asian countries.
- 13 April 2010: Conference on "Energy for Growth" was held in Dhaka coinciding with the 15 years of ICC's presence in Bangladesh. The Conference was inaugurated by the Finance Minister of Bangladesh and attended by ICC Global Chairman, Minister for Commerce of Bangladesh, Minister for Development Cooperation of Denmark and Adviser to the Bangladesh Prime Minister for Energy & Mineral Resources. Some 800 delegates from home and abroad including energy experts and international financiers from Australia, China, Denmark, India, Germany, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland, UK and USA.
- 25-26 October 2014: International Conference on “Global Economic Recovery: Asian Perspective”, coinciding with the 20 years of ICC's presence in Bangladesh. The Conference was inaugurated by the President of the People's Republic of Bangladesh H.E. Mr. Md. Abdul Hamid. Minister for Finance & Minister for Commerce of Bangladesh, UNCTAD Secretary General, Ministers from Myanmar and Nepal; ICC Vice Chairman; ICC Secretary General; ICC Research Foundation Chairman; Director of ICC National Committees and more than 500 participants attended this event.
As part of its activities, ICC Bangladesh has been organizing Workshops / Seminar on International Trade Finance, mainly for bankers Bangladesh, in various countries since 2014. So far such events have been organized in Kuala Lumpur in April, 2014; in Colombo in February 2015; in Kunming in August 2015 in Yangon in November 2015 and in Hanoi in February 2016.
ICCB also organizes Certified Documentary Credit Specialist (CDCS), Certificate for Specialists in Demand Guarantees (CSDG) and Certificate of International Trade Finance (CITF) Examinations in Dhaka, conducted worldwide every year by ifs University College and endorsed by ICC Paris.
- ICC Bangladesh participates in most of the World Chambers Congress & ICC World Congresses held every two years and WTO Ministerial Meetings as well as ICC Regional Consultative Group Meetings.